Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Protesting Unemployment? I'll pass . . .

I couldn't help but feel a bit irked after reading that unemployed UVA law students are 'protesting' their jobless fate. How are they protesting? By blaming UVA, naturally.


For starters, these dudes made some terrible looking t-shirts. If you attend a top-ten law school, at least try to feign a little class?

Second, I'm all for protesting. If you want to get out there and stand up for what you believe in, go for it. But a line has to be drawn somewhere. In my humble, holier-than-thou, you're-reading-MY-blog-so-I-must-have-something-really-important-to-say opinion, these guys look like nothing more than a few spoiled kids who have had everything handed to them on silver platers their entire lives. As a law student, I did not come to school with the expectation that upon graduating, I would get a job. I came to law school with the expectation that I had to work my butt off to earn a job. And don't get me wrong, I deeply sympathize with the fate of these students--the job market is a scary place right now, a place that ten years ago I would have never imagined myself being terrified of. But come on, you can't expect to get hired...you have to work for it. Instead of spending however many hours organizing these 'demonstrations', designing t-shirts (ok, minutes, in the t-shirt design case), and loitering around admitted students day to 'protest' their tragic jobless situation, these guys could instead actually be out in the market looking and applying for jobs, instead of feeling sorry for themselves.

Photo: Above the Law

No comments:

Post a Comment